Builders, roofers and other professionals in the construction industry will use technical words to describe the works they are carrying out. To many, these are things we do not hear on a regular basis, so at DPR we have listed some of the most common technical words and their meanings, so you can understand what works are being carried out properly:

Batten: This is the strip of wood over roof underlay that roof tiles or slates are fastened to.

Closer: A brick that been cut in half lengthways.

Course: AKA as a &#146course of tiles’, this is a single horizontal row of tiles or slate.

Dry Fix: A method of fastening tiles or slates using ‘dry’ mechanical fixing rather than, or as well, as traditional ‘wet’ mortar. New rules came out about this method a year or so ago.

Flashing: A metal sheet that waterproofs junctions, such as between a wall and a roof.

Gable: This translates into the triangular upper part of a wall that supports a pitched roof.

Jamb: Proper word for the side of an opening in a wall that is for a door or a window

Joist: The right terminology to describe a beam (a long, sturdy piece of squared timber or metal) supporting a floor or ceiling.

Party wall: A wall that separates properties, such as in terraced houses, often carries up to the loft.

Purlin: A horizontal timber or steel beam halfway up a roof that gives extra support.

Ridge: Refers to the top of the roof, usually covered with special ‘ridge tiles’.

So now you know. These are just some of the roofing terms used across the UK to describe parts of your roof. If you however speak to a roofer and do not understand what he is saying, ask him to explain using terms you do understand. At DPR roofing we will not bombard you with all complex words, but instead show you with imagery the problems we have found.

Should you have a problem with your roof and require a comprehensive survey, please do not hesitate to contact one of our roofing team today.